The Community Foundation for Crawford County
Grant Request Information
Providing Support to all Crawford County, Ohio Charities
The purpose of The Community Foundation for Crawford County is to serve as a catalyst supporting the good work of nonprofit organizations and to collaborate in response to the needs and interests of the residents of Crawford County. A portion of our work is carried out through our competitive grants program.
Crawford County Charities Qualified for Grant Consideration
As a community foundation described in our Articles of Incorporation, The Community Foundation for Crawford County may only consider requests from organizations designated as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code including governmental units. This means that most organizations must have applied to the IRS and received a letter from them granting tax-exempt status. In addition, governmental units are considered tax-exempt, such as a county, city, or public school board. A number assigned by the IRS for bank accounts does not necessarily mean an organization has tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3).
Guidelines for Grants Made to Crawford County Charities
Income from unrestricted funds is used to make grants of the following types:
- New projects to support defined community needs.
- School grants that are building- or system-wide use or will be used by a broad spectrum of the school population.
- Preschools, that at the time of application have in hand their 501(c)(3) determination letter; are able to document that they are non-denominational, and have an active open enrollment policy.
- Grants that will generate additionally needed funds for worthwhile community projects.
- Grants that provide needed programs for human services.
- Scholarships are awarded through the named scholarship funds held by the Foundation.
- Requests for new equipment should include financial details, including a line-by-line narrative that addresses each major item.
- Programs currently in existence must explain how they are currently funded, how much funding is anticipated for the upcoming program year, and why the funds from this foundation are needed.
- Effective, January 1, 1999, individual classroom grant requests are redirected to the appropriate school endowment committee.
- The Foundation does not plan to support “Start-up” programs for more than one or two years, and it must be demonstrated that the program will be financed or be self-supporting beyond the start-up year. Financial figures should be shown to support this.
- Annual campaigns, local or national;
- Endowment programs (other then previously determined school endowments);
- Sectarian religious purposes, except for “designated” grants which have been accepted by the Foundation;
- Graduate fellowships and travel grants to individuals, except for “designated” grants/scholarships that have been accepted by the Foundation; or
- Those organizations that have not completed prior grant requirements.
When applying for a grant, please complete The Community Foundation For Crawford County's Grant Application and include any attachments as required. Links to the grant application can be found in the green box at the top left hand side of this page or in the gray box at the bottom of this page.
After the grant request has been received, a member of our Board of Trustees or staff will be assigned to review and investigate the grant. The Trustee assigned will meet with representative(s) of the organization. The Trustee will then place the request before the entire Board for discussion and a final decision. If approved, grants are usually awarded in April and December.
If you desire, we would be happy to review a draft of your grant request before final submission.
Deadlines for Grant Submission
As of 2019, the Foundation will only have two grant cycles.
- December 31 - Grants submitted by this date will be awarded in April of the following year.
- August 31 - Grants submitted by this date will be awarded in December.
If there is a more urgent time frame for any request, please contact us for more specific advice.